Friday, November 21, 2008

A Life Altering Experience

By Scott Phillips, Regional Development Officer (Great Lakes Region) for Christian Children's Fund

After another night in Diamantina we made our way back to Belo.

Our last night in Diamantina we ate local fare in a café on the main square. During the holiday season they hold an amazing concert here. Musicians are located in the windows of all the buildings surrounding the square on the second floor while maestros direct the music from down below. Tables are set outside and thousands come to listen to the music. It is quite an event I am told.

Perhaps someday I will return and hear this for myself; I certainly would love to!

As we made our way back to Belo on the bus, we passed hundreds of stalls along the road that sold homemade hot sauces by the thousands. Each one was different and I am sure great! I was tempted to pull the cord and ask the driver to pull over, but I couldn’t.

I hope you have all enjoyed reading of my time in the Jequitinhonha Valley. It was truly life altering for me, as it is every time I see new CCF programs in the field. However, this area was much more than I had ever dreamed it would be; much more demanding, much more remote, much more challenging in so many different ways.

I encourage everyone reading along to visit this area of Brazil if you ever have the chance. I am always available to carry your luggage!

No comments: